Principal Lewis Williams Douglas,|
The Installation of Principal Douglas, in Moyse Hall, January 7, 1938, was similar to that of the Morgan Installation, with the exception of the specific mention of the Visitor, who is noted as having provided "greetings" to the Principal. The later function of these greetings is in the form of a "charge" entrusting the Charter and Seal to the care of the new Principal. In preparation an Inauguration Committee was struck in November 1937. Records indicate the first use of detailed protocols associated with the program, including scripted pauses.
From the installation program:
Order of the Installation, Friday 7th January 1938 Moyse Hall
- Academic Procession
- Prayer - The Reverend Dr. G. Abbott-Smith, Dean of the Montreal Theological Colleges affiliated with the University
- "Hail, Alma Mater"
- Presentation of the Principal by the Chancellor
- The Principal is greeted by the Visitor
- The Principal is endued with his robes of office by Dr. W.H. Brittain, Vice-Principal of Macdonald College and Dean of the Faculty of Agriculture
- A welcome to the Principal on behalf of the Staff and Graduates - Dean Brittain
- A welcome to the Principal on behalf of the Students - Mr. Everett F. Crutchlow, President of the Students Society
- Installation Address - The Principal
- God Save The King
Click image to enlarge.