Principal Arthur Eustace Morgan,|
Principal Morgan was installed on October 5, 1935 in an outdoor ceremony in ‘the Hollow’ (now known to some as ‘the Dell’) next to Redpath Museum. The alternate location in the case of bad weather was Moyse Hall. The ritual of installation was similar to that of later installations, however, the Visitor was not present. This is the first ceremony referred to as an Installation, and was held the day prior to the Founder’s Day Convocation.
This first Installation in one hundred years was seen as a "maiden effort" and planned as a modest ceremony. In response to American universities enquiring about invitations to the installation, the Registrar noted that only Canadian universities would be invited to send representatives. (Correspondence from T.H. Matthews, Registrar, to Dr. Frank D Fackenthal, Secretary, Columbia University, September 20, 1935.) The order of the Installation ceremony included the following:
- Opening Prayer
- Chancellor presents the Principal
- Robing of the Principal (assisted by the Registrar)
- Three Cheers for the Principal
- Greetings on behalf of Staff and Graduates
- Greetings on behalf of the Students
- Greetings on behalf of other Canadian Universities
- Principal Replies
Classes were canceled that day, and the campus was open to the general public with reports of up to 2000 people attending the event.
Click image to enlarge.