Installation of McGill Principals Virtual Exhibit
Go to Site Map
 
Exhibit Home The Installation Ceremony Past Installations The Gallery: Papers of Governance For Researchers Credits
You are here > Home > Past Installations : Principal Harold Rocke Robertson, 1962-1970
MENU
Principal George Jehoshaphat Mountain
(1824-1835)

Principals Appointed by Resolution
(1835-1935)

Principal Arthur Eustace Morgan
(1935-1937)

Principal Lewis Williams Douglas
(1937-1939)

Principal Frank Cyril James
(1939-1962)

Principal Harold Rocke Robertson
(1962-1970)

Principal Robert Edward Bell
(1970-1979)

Principal David Lloyd Johnston
(1979-1994)

Principal Bernard Shapiro
(1994-2002)

Principal Harold Rocke Robertson,
1962-1970

The Installation of H.R. Robertson, April 2, 1963, introduces the official Charges and an additional greeting to the Order of Proceedings. For the first time a greeting to the Principal from the non-academic staff is listed in the program. The Charges by the Chancellor and the Visitor are the other significant change. The Chancellorís Charge entails the formal investing of the Office and Title of Principal and Vice-Chancellor in the name of the Board of Governors and under the authority of the University Statutes. The Chancellor then presents the new Principal to the Visitor. The Visitorís Charge acknowledges the new Principal, and entrusts the 1852 Charter and Seal into the Principalís keeping (this is the first mention in the installation program of the 1852 Charter and Seal being entrusted into the care of the Principal).

Images
Click image to enlarge.

Principal Robertson's Installation, 1963. Photo Credit: Canada Wide Feature Service LTD. MUA PR028844. Principal Robertson, n.d. MUA PR036242.
Principal Robertson, 1969. MUA PR017034. Principal Robertson Installation Program, 1963 MUA RG 4, c. 295 no. 11136.
Previous, Principal James Top Next, Principal Bell

 
HOME |  The Installation Ceremony |  Past Installations |  The Gallery: Papers of Governance | 
For Researchers |  Credits |  Site Map
Back to Top Contact the Web Manager
This Virtual Exhibit is maintained by the McGill University Archives | McGill University , © 2003