Diploma courses in engineering were originally offered in 1859 in the Faculty of Arts. In 1871 the Department of Practical and Applied Science in the Faculty of Arts began degree programmes in Civil Engineering and Surveying, Mining Engineering and Assaying, and Practical Chemistry. The Faculty of Applied Science was created in 1878. Changes in administrative functions led to the creation of the Faculty of Engineering in 1931. The development of the Faculty has been traced by Paul Tourigny in "Histoire Comparée de la Faculté de Génie de l'Université McGill et de l'Ecole Polytechnique, Les Années 1920-1940" (Université de Montréal, unpublished thesis, 1980).
DEANS OF THE FACULTY
1878-1908 Henry Taylor Bovey
1908-1922 Frank Dawson Adams
1923-1924 Henry Martyn McKay, Acting Dean
1924-1930 Henry Martyn McKay
1931-1941 Ernest Brown
1942-1951 John Johnston O'Neil
1952-1957 Robert Edwards Jamieson
1957-1968 Donald Louis Mordell
1968-1974 George Lee d'Ombrain
1974 Thomas H. Barton, Acting Dean
1975-1984 Gerald W. Farnell
1984 Pierre Bélanger
ADMINISTRATIVE RECORDS, 1907-1975
Faculty Records, 1907-1975
Minutes of the Faculty, 1907-1952, 1974-1975, 50 cm (c.1-c.4, c.6)
Minutes of the Faculty are indexed by name and subject from 1907 until September 1949. There is no index for the post 1949 period. Minutes before 1907 were probably destroyed in the 1907 Macdonald Engineering Building fire.
Annual Reports, 1896, 1961-1968, 5 cm (c.5, c.15, c.40)
These reports were submitted to the Principal and/or Corporation.
Records of the Office of the Dean, 1907-1984
Administrative Records, 1907-1977, 6 m (c.5-c.31, c.179, c.182-c.184, c.192, c.198, c.200) PARTS RESTRICTED
The office of the Dean has generated general records containing internal and external correspondence, reports of schools, departments, institutions and faculty, student curriculum, laboratory reports, scholarships statistics and salaries. Also included are reports, correspondence of various committees and with the departments and schools of the Faculty and external bodies ca 1966-ca 1976, Tenure Cohort, 1977-1984, scholarships, and budget working papers. There is a long series of correspondence and reports concerning the admission of women to the Faculty and in particular the School of Architecture (c.14).
National Committee of Deans, 1969-1981, 30 cm (c.185)
Minutes, correspondence and salary survey, 1977-1979.
Records of Former Staff, pre 1980, 80 cm (c.180-c.182) RESTRICTED
These records contain correspondence and other materials concerning staff re-appointments and promotions.
Macdonald Engineering Building, 1907-1909
Macdonald Engineering Building, 1907-1909, 15 cm
Articles of Agreement, reports, correspondence and brochures concerning the construction of the new Macdonald Engineering Building. There also is a volume containing details of accounts regarding the demolition and reconstruction of the Macdonald Building and extensions to the Workman Building.
Macdonald Chemistry Building, 1898
RARE BOOK DEPARTMENT
Correspondence, 1898, 44 pages
Correspondence relating to the official opening of the Macdonald Chemistry building.
DEPARTMENTS AND SCHOOLS, 1870-1977
Department of Civil Engineering, 1894, 1931-1941
Testing Laboratory Reports, 1894, 1931-1941, 8 cm (c.33)
Testing Laboratory Reports prepared by the Superintendent of the Testing Laboratory and the Professor of Civil Engineering; arranged alphabetically by companies' names, 1931-1933, and in numerical order, 1934-1941.
Department of Electrical Engineering, 1939-1977
Administration, 1957-1977, 17 m (c.27-c.36, c.38-c.48, c.186-c.191, c.208-c.213, c.219-c.232) RESTRICTED
The chairman of the department created general administrative records which contain correspondence, financial papers and reports.
The Anechoic Testing Laboratory, 1958, 5 cm (c.14)
Historical file on establishment of the acoustic free field
Committees, 1937, 2 cm (c.14)
University Development Committee and Sub-Committee on Buildings and Equipment reports.
Department of Mechanical Engineering, 1902-1911
Letterbooks, 1902-1911, 4 vols, 20 cm (c.32, c.241)
Letterbooks of professors H.M. Jaquays and R.J. Durley, containing letters concerning students, academic matters, alterations to the Engineering Building and other matters. Indexed.
Department of Mining and Metallurgical, 1870-1970
History, 1970, 3 cm (c.14)
Files and lists of faculty and staff from 1870-1970.
School of Architecture, 1904-1974
Administrative Records, 1904-1974, 25 cm (c.15, c.33, c.168) PARTS RESTRICTED
There are two principal series of correspondence: the Royal Institute of British Architects, 1928-1971 and the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada, 1956-1974 (c.163); and the Director of the School and the Dean of Engineering, 1945-1967 (c.15). There are also examination questionnaires, 1937-1947, draft announcements of the School and teaching aids.
STUDENT RECORDS, ca 1950-1978
Student Graduate Records, ca 1940's-1973, 1975-1976, 23.7 m (c.50-c.128) RESTRICTED
Student graduate records contain correspondence, transcripts, and marks of each student. Records are alphabetically arranged within chronological blocks, based upon each student's year of graduation.
Student Records, Withdrawals, 1967-1973, 1975-1978, 9.9 m (c.129-c.161) RESTRICTED
Student records of those who withdrew from the programme before completion contain correspondence, transcripts, marks. Records are alphabetically arranged within chronological blocks, based upon the year the student withdrew.
Student Records, Graduates and Withdrawals, 1970, 1971, 1974, 1978, 1979, 9 m (c.170-c.178, c.192-c.197, c.201-c.207, c.233-c.240) RESTRICTED
These records contain correspondence, transcripts and marks and are arranged alphabetically.
Student Transcripts, 1956-1957, 1964-1971, 1.5 m (c.214-c.218) RESTRICTED
Cards recording student marks.
Examinations, 1899-1902, 1922-1952, 40 cm (c.12, 14)
Unworked examination papers.