Dawson College was opened in 1945 to accommodate the greatly increased enrolment due to the return of students from the armed services and was housed at the R.C.A.F. base at St-Jean, Quebec. All first year science and engineering students were transfered there. The number of students enrolled, mainly veterans, reached a peak of 1687 in January 1947. The College was closed in 1950. Dawson College was administered by a Vice-Principal, Dawson College and by various other McGill staff members who undertook duties such as that of Assistant Bursar and Secretary. The extant records are very scanty; there are several Dawson College files in the Principal's Papers, R.G. 2 (c.88, c.125, c.128), and an annual report on athletics at Dawson in R.G. 38, (c.26, file 38/201/1). Information about Dawson College appeared in the McGill News, including an article by Vice-Principal Gillson in the issue for Spring 1946. A short history of Dawson College was written by Vincent Jolivet, B. Eng 1952, and D.H. Kennedy, B. Eng. 1952 (M.G. 4039, and Info File).
VICE-PRINCIPALS, DAWSON COLLEGE
1947-1947 A.H. Gillson
1947-1949 Carleton Craig
1949-1950 W.H. Hatcher
OFFICE OF THE VICE-PRINCIPAL, 1945-1950
Administrative Records, 1945-1950, 10 cm (c.1)
There are a few files mainly dealing with physical alterations to accommodate the students of Dawson College, the provision of food services and the role of physical education. Listed.
Dawson College Freshman Programme, 1946