SPECIAL COLLECTION: PROTESTANT EDUCATION IN QUEBEC, 1816-1868
RARE BOOK DEPARTMENT
Originals, 1816-1868, 10 cm (CH286.Bd214)
This collection of original documents concerning Protestant education in Quebec was assembled by E.I. Rexford for his history of the High School of Montreal. The bulk of this material dates from the 1830s and 1840s, and includes a 300 page report on the Jesuit Estates, 1839, a summary of educational legislation, 1838, grammar school returns from Canada West, 1842, and a number of surveys and accounts.
ANONYMOUS: SCHOOLBOY, 1809-1921
RARE BOOK DEPARTMENT
Originals, 1809-1821, 10 pp (New MSS)
This account book of unknown origin, is a record of expenses for one boy's schooling (tuition, clothing, books, etc.).
COMMERCIAL AND TECHNICAL HIGH SCHOOL GRADUTES' SOCIETY, 1920-1926
The Commercial and Technical High School, administered by the Protestant Board, stood for many years on Sherbrooke Street, Montréal, and provided training for clerical and technical occupations. The Graduates' Society was formed in 1920.
Originals, 1920-1926, 6 cm (M.G. 4056)
The records of this society comprise a minute book, 1920-1926, a register of members, and some unbound papers (drafts of constitution, membership lists, correspondence).
GAGNE, LOUIS, fl 1808-1809
RARE BOOK DEPARTMENT
Originaux, 1808-1809, 2 items (New MSS)
Cahier de notes de Louis Gagné des cours de physique et de métaphysique de l'abbé Demers au Séminaire de Québec.
MacFARLANE, DUNCAN, 1771-1857
Duncan MacFarlane was born in Auchingray, Scotland. He was educated for the Anglican church at the University of Glasgow (D.D. 1806). From 1824 until his death, he was Principal of Glasgow University and minister of the High Church, Glasgow.
RARE BOOK DEPARTMENT
Originals, 1828-1857, 4 cm (M14.Bd24)
These 29 letters to MacFarlane are mostly communications from the
Rectors of the University.
MONTREAL HIGH SCHOOL AND THE HIGH SCHOOL FOR GIRLS, 1858-1965
Founded on the Scottish model, the High School of Montreal replaced the Royal Grammar School in 1843, with the Rev. George F. Simpson as its first Rector. The direction of the High School was transferred to McGill in 1853, when it was renamed the High School of McGill College, but in 1870 the School passed under the
jurisdiction of the Protestant Board of School Commissioners. The High School for Girls formed a separate division from 1875 to 1965.
Originals, Printed Materials and Photographs, 1855-1960, 3.8 m (M.G. 1060)
Most of this archive documents the High School for Girls. The administrative records comprise prospecti for both High Schools, registers of attendance, 1875-1896, examinations, 1855-1858, 1884-1888, fees, 1863-1869, and corporal punishment, 1892-1896, 1949-1960, and memoranda from the Rector applying to either the boys' division or to both High Schools, 1897-1904. There are also working notes for teachers, 1902-1903, 1921-1931, and scrapbooks of programmes, clippings and notes concerning activities in both schools, covering the years 1913 to 1960. Examination papers, 1872-1882, a guest book, 1919-1943, an annotated address book of High School for Girls staff prepared by Principal L.M. Hendrie, 1911-1945, and photographic portraits of the Principals of the High School for Girls round out this series.
Student activities are reflected not only in the official scrapbooks, but also in minute books, photograph albums and scrapbooks of the High School for Girls' Athletic Association, 1912-1913, Literary and Debating Society, 1906-1908, and English Club, 1935-1940. There are a large number of photographs of girls' sports teams, 1915-1941, as well as a scrapbook of clippings on the activity of High School for Girls Alumnae, 1953-1956.
MONTREAL LADIES EDUCATIONAL ASSOCIATION, 1871-1891
In 1871 a group of prominent Montréal women founded, on the model
of the Ladies' Educational Association of Edinburgh, the Montreal Ladies' Educational Association. Their aim was to provide university level courses, with examinations and certificates, and
with the support of McGill Principal J.W. Dawson, they secured Dawson himself and a number of other McGill professors as teachers. The standards of instruction were high, and the success and enthusiasm of the women students was an important moral factor in securing the admission of women to McGill in 1884. As the function of the Association came to be absorbed by McGill, it ceased operations in 1885.
Originals and Printed Materials, 1871-1891, 20 cm (M.G. 1053)
The official records of the Montreal Ladies' Educational Association comprise minutes of the General and Executive Committees, 1871-1885; an account book, 1871-1885; a fee register, 1880-1885; a list of students of the M.L.E.A. and after 1885 of McGill, 1881-1890; a register of certificates granted, including comments on the student's performance, 1871-1885; and printed prospecti and annual reports. A 'Register of Teachers', 1871-1881, contains advertisements for school teachers and governesses.
PARMALEE, GEORGE WILLIAM, 1860-1941
A native of Waterloo, Québec, G.W. Parmalee was educated at McGill Normal School and Queen's University (B.A. 1889). From 1886 to 1888, he was headmaster of the McGill Model School, and also lectured at the Normal School. In 1891 he was appointed provincial Director of Protestant Education, a position he held until his retirement in 1931. He was also the author of a number of historical works, including a study of the battle of the Plains of Abraham.
Originals and Printed Materials, 1898-1945, 60 cm (M.G. 1065)
Parmalee's papers document his activities as Director of Protestant Education. They comprise scrapbooks of newspaper clippings on Québec education, 1924-1945, and a letterbook containing copies of confidential letters emanating from his office, 1898-1900.
PROTESTANT BOARD OF SCHOOL TRUSTEES/PROTESTANT SCHOOL COMMISSIONERS OF LACHINE, 1892-1955
The Protestant Board of School Trustees of Lachine was established in the 19th century, and in 1924 raised to the status of a commission. It was responsible for taxes and fees, engaging teachers, building and maintaining schools, and other administrative aspects of education. The primary administrative officer was the Secretary-General: by 1910, his functions had grown so far beyond the mandate to keep minutes and accounts that a second administrative officer was named, the Superintendent. Eventually the Commissioners had six schools in Lachine, Dorval and Lasalle under their control. The Secretary-Treasurers for the period covered by these records were Alex Bissett (1895-1908), Hector Campbell (1908-1913), Sylvester George Grimston (1914-1932), H.G. Hatcher (1932-1945) and V. Vernon. H.G. Hatcher was simultaneously Superintendent.
Originals, Copies, Printed Materials, 1892-1955, 3.5 m (M.G. 3074)
These are the papers of the Secretary-Treasurer for the period 1892-1955. They cover his financial and administrative activities, but do not include the Commission's official minutes, or records of individual schools. Financial records include assessment rolls, 1903-1925, a ledger of tax assessments and payments, 1911-1914, statements of revenue and expenditures, 1900-1910, 1918-1924, and a cash book, 1936-1943. Administrative functions are documented by correspondence files. Correspondents include the provincial Department of Public Instruction, the City of Lachine, teachers, banks, commercial firms involved in school maintenance, suppliers, other school boards, and parents. The emphasis throughout is on financial matters, personnel, and school buildings, with some material on curriculum, use of schools by outside groups, and student activities.
REXFORD, ELSON IRVING, 1850-1936
Elson I. Rexford was born in South Bolton, Québec. After studies at the McGill Normal School, he taught in public schools from 1868 to 1871. He received his B.A. from McGill in 1876, and in the same year was ordained; he then joined the staff of the High School of Montreal, where he rose to the rank of assistant headmaster. From 1882 to 1891 he served as English Secretary of the Provincial Department of Public Instruction and later as Director of Protestant Education. Rexford returned to the High School of Montreal as Rector in 1891, and in 1903 left to take up the principalship of the Montreal Diocesan Theological College. In 1928 he retired as Principal Emeritus.
UNIVERSITY ARCHIVES Originals, 1883, 2 items (M.G. 3059)
Two letters to Rexford from S.P. Robins, Secretary and Superintendent for the Protestant School Commissioners of Montreal, discuss the affairs of the McGill Normal School, 1883.
RARE BOOK DEPARTMENT
Originals, 1932, 4 cm (CH270.Bd221)
Rexford's papers comprise manuscript and typescript drafts of his High School of Montreal: the development of Secondary Education 1800-1932, ca 1932. For Rexford's colleciton of background material, see the Special Collection: Protestant Education in Québec.
ROSS, JOHN W., fl 1910-1945
A chartered accountant, Ross was born in Montréal in 1870. He was a member of P.S. Ross and Sons, Accountants. Awarded an Hon. LL.D., by McGill in 1925, Ross served on the Board of Governors from 1910-1945.
Originals, ca 1910-ca 1940, 40 cm (M.G. 4068)
Ross compiled most of these papers as a Governor of McGill University and particularly with fund raising campaigns in 1911 and the Centennial Campaign of 1921. There is a scrapbook on the 1911 campaign and a volume containing plans for the 1920-1921 campaign. Included are addresses given to church groups, 1922-1940 and a general business letterbook, 1912-1916. There is also a file of correspondence relating to the search for a Principal in 1935.
ROYAL GRAMMAR SCHOOL OF MONTREAL, 1845
In 1821 the Royal Institution for the Advancement of Learning applied for the permanent establishment of public schools at Montréal and Québec which were called Royal Grammar Schools. From 1818 to 1846 the Royal Grammar School in Montréal, having amalgamated with "The Classical and Mathematical School", was the leading secondary school in the city, with Alexander Skakel as Headmaster. In 1846 the High School of Montreal absorbed the Royal Grammar School.
Original, 1845, 1 item (M.G. 1068)
A memorial, on parchment, records the laying of the cornerstone of the Royal Grammar School by Lord Metcalfe.
SERVICE FOR ADMISSION TO COLLEGE AND UNIVERSITY (SACU), 1966-
The Service for Admission to College and University (SACU) was incorporated in 1966 as an inter-provincial, inter-university organization to offer a national testing programme for university and college entrance. It was established under the auspices of the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada, the Canadian Educational Association, la Fédération des collèges classiques, and committees of the provincial ministries of Education.
Originals and Copies, 1965-1968, 15 cm (M.G. 3088)
The reports, minutes, correspondence and notes included in this archive are those of Colin M. McDougall, Registrar of McGill University, as President and Chairman of the Board of SACU. They include proposals for the establishment of the organization, minutes of administrative bodies, and correspondence about financial support, testing criteria, and appointements.
SKAKEL, ALEXANDER, 1776-1846
Born in Scotland, Alexander Skakel received his M.A. from King's College, Aberdeen in 1797. Two years later he came to Canada and established a school in Québec. He shortly transferred to Montréal, and from 1800 to 1818 his "Classical and Mathematical School" was the main educational institution of the English-speaking population. Skakel's school was absorbed into the Royal Grammar School in 1818, and he remained as Principal until his death. Skakel was active in promoting the scientific life of the city through the Montreal Natural History Association and the Montreal General Hospital.
Photocopies, 1836 and 1847 (M.G. 3080)
Skakel's papers comprise photocopies of his will, 1836, and a schedule of scientific apparatus bequeathed to McGill College, 1847.
STE-SOPHIE PROTESTANT SCHOOL, SCOTLAND, QUEBEC, 1914-1937
In 1914, a group of Jewish farmers at Ste-Sophie in Terrebonne County formed a committee to establish a public school under the Protestant School Commission. The purpose of the school was to provide both general and Jewish education. Classes were taught in English in the mornings, and in Hebrew in the afternoon; later, the Hebrew element in the programme was detached and placed under a special commission.
Microfilm, 1914-1937, 1 reel (M.G. 4024)
The Trustees' Minute Book records negotiations for establishing the school, engaging teachers, fees, the maintenance of the building, and the curriculum. About one-third of the minutes are in Hebrew script. The school trustees' meetings occasionally took on the character of a general town assembly and general topics such as agricultural assistance to immigrants were discussed.