Professions and Trades


Table of Contents


John Andreassen was born in Bloomer, Wisconsin, and studied at Tulane, Wisconsin (Ph.B. 1931) and Louisiana State (M.A. 1935) Universities. His career as an archivist began in 1937 with his appointment as regional director of the Historical Records Survey of Louisiana. He supervised service projects for the Work Projects Administration from 1941 to 1943, and from 1943 to 1950 was administrative officer of the Federal Works Administration, As displaced persons specialist for the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Agency (UNRRA) he worked in London (1944-1945), Sweden (1945), and on a relief mission to Austria (1945-1946). From 1946 to 1952, Andreassen was Director of Administration of the Library of Congress, and held the chair of aeronautics there from 1952 to 1953. He returned to Louisiana to become Associate Director of the state archives survey (1955-1956), and later, Director of the Louisiana Archives and Records Commission (1958-1960). After completing a paperwork survey for the New Orleans government (1961), Andreassen came to Montréal as archivist of the Canadian National Railway. He has also acted as consultant in archives administration as a partner in the Records Management Company, Montréal. From 1968 until his retirement in 1977, he was McGill University Archivist. Andreassen was one of the founders of the Society of American Archivists and of the Montreal Chapter of the Association of Records Managers and Administrators.


Originals, Copies, Printed Material, Photographs, 1929-1980, 4.5 m (M.G. 1059)

Andreassen's papers fall into three series: personal materials, diaries, and professional files. Personal materials include family correspondence, 1929-ca 1932, and ca 30 cm of class notes and draft papers stemming from his student years, largely at Louisiana State. There are also files of private correspondence, some addressed to Mrs Andreassen, from the period 1975-1980. Andreassen's diaries cover the years 1936-1940, 1945-1952, 1962-1965, and 1968-1976. They record the working day and are interleaved with memoranda and correspondence, often of a personal nature. Professional files vary in nature with each stage of Andreassen's career, but correspondence and reports are consistent elements. To these may be added copies of surveys and inventories of the Louisiana Historical Records Survey, expense accounts and photographs arising from his work for UNRRA, records of archival deposits and drafts on an institutional history prepared as Archivist of CNR, and annual reports written as McGill Archivist.


John Smith Archibald was born in Inverness, Scotland, and was educated in his native city. In 1893 he came to Montréal to work as a draughtsman and assistant to architect Edward Maxwell, and in 1897 he opened his own architectural practice in partnership with another of Maxwell's draughtsmen, Charles Jewett Saxe. Their partnership was dissolved in 1915, and each continued to practise under his own name. Archibald designed schools, churches, commercial buildings and private residences, largely in the Montréal area. His style varied from the formal classicism of the Montréal Masonic Memorial Temple to the picturesque baronial aspect of his large hotels, for example the Chateau Laurier in Ottawa.


Originals, 1907-ca 1934, 16 rolls of drawings and 2 framed drawings

Archibald's papers comprise architectural drawings for ten projects, including the Engineer's Club,1907; the Montreal Technical School, 1915; the Windsor, 1922; and Chateau Laurier, 1927-1929; Hotels; and the Montreal Masonic Memorial Temple, 1928. There are framed presentation drawings of the Chateau Laurier and of Postal Station B.


A native of Montréal, Thomas H. Bacon obtained a B.Sc. in Civil Engineering from McGill in 1911. During World War I he served with the Canadian Forestry Corps in the Jura, constructing sawmills to produce wood for aircraft. He was an employee of the National Fire Proofing Company.


Originals and Printed Materials, ca 1910-1915, 12 cm (M.G. 2058)

Bacon's papers are grouped in two series. Materials from his student days include notes on geology, chemistry, hydrographic surveying, magnetism, electric motors and economics. Files stemming from his work for the National Fire Proofing Co. comprise contracts, architectural specifications, cost notes, and memoranda concerning construction of various buildings in Montréal (e.g. Windsor Station, the Sun Life Building) and elsewhere.

BARRY, CHARLES, 1795-1860

Charles Barry, architect of the British Houses of Parliament, was born in Westminster and served his architectural apprenticeship in London. After an extensive tour of the Continent and the Middle East, he opened a practice in London. Barry spearheaded some of the major stylistic revivals - Gothic, Greek, and Renaissance - of early 19th century British architecture. His Renaissance phase is particularly associated with his designs for club buildings such as the Travellers', 1829-1832, the Manchester Athaneum, 1836-1839, and the Reform, 1837-1841. In 1836, Barry won the greatest architectural competition of the 19th century with his design for the new Houses of Parliament at Westminster. The last years of his life were largely taken up in remodelling existing structures.


Originals and Printed Materials, ca 1834-1837, 9 drawings

Except for a printed general view of the Parliament Buildings, these items are original designs for the following: Trentham Hall, 1834; the Manchester Atheneum, 1836; the Reform Club, 1837; the Privy Council offices at Westminster, 1836; details of the Parliament Buildings, 1836; and an otherwise unidentified ceiling decoration.

BREWSTER, DOROTHY L., fl 1924-1927

Dorothy Brewster (Mrs. Louis Brais) graduated from the Montreal General Hospital School of Nursing in 1927.


Originals, Copies, 1924-1927, 10 cm (M.G. 3084)

These papers consist of class notes, examinations and other materials connected with Dorothy Brewster's nursing training. Her notebooks in pediatrics, psychology, bloodvessels and parasites, obstetrics and post-natal care, hospital housekeeping, nursing theory and psychology are supplemented by loose notes on various diseases, hospital dietetics, sanitation, and the techniques of study. An attendance card and case-work sheets document her practical training at the Montreal General and Montreal Maternity Hospitals. Finally, copies of examination questions for the School of Nursing and for Registered Nurses Association of Québec, 1924-1927, are accompanied by Brewster's answers.


Historian Marjorie Wilkins Campbell was born in London, England, and educated in Swift Current, Saskatchewan and in Toronto. She has worked as an editor for Magazine Digest but her reputation rests on a series of books on Canadian history and exploration of the early 19th century, especially The Nor' Westers and The North West Company (1957) and McGillivray, Lord of the North West (preliminary title: Touch not the cat) for which she received a Guggenheim Research Fellowship (1962). Campbell has won numerous literary awards, including Governor-General's Awards and the Arts Award of the Canada Council.


Originals, Copies, Printed Materials, Photographs, 1947-1971, 2 m (M20922)

Marjorie Wilkins Campbell's papers concern her historical research and publications. They consist of her formal research files of photocopies of original documents, notes, extracts, photographs, and some printed materials and correspondence. This material was assembled between 1956 and 1971. There are also drafts of her publications including a typescript of The North West Company (1954), a draft of the Nor' Westers (1957), four distinct drafts of Touch not the Cat (1961) and also typescripts of three essays: "J.J. Astor and the War of 1812", "I followed the Voyagers", and "The Nor' Westers".


This association modeled on similar ones in other countries was set up as an instrument through which scientists could cooperate in common aims.


Originals, 1944-1945, 1 cm (M.G. 4074)

This small collection includes the Bulletin of the Montreal Branch, December 1944; membership applications; a summary of a talk to Sigma XI by Dr Raymond Boyer, 31 January 1945; a statement on collective bargaining by professional scientific workers, and a transcript of a discussion between Leon Lortie, Raymond Boyer and Ronald Stewart, ca 1945.

CLAY, SAMUEL, 1865-1917

Samuel Clay was born in London, England, and received his B.C.L. from McGill in 1898. He practiced as an advocate in Montréal and served the university as Acting Secretary and Bursar from 1904 to 1906. He later became a professor at the University of Cairo, Egypt, where he died in 1917.


Copies, 1902-1906, 7 cm (M.G. 4044)

Clay's professional letterbook contains copies of outgoing legal correspondence generated in his advocate's practice.

COFFEY, D.J., fl 1938

D.J. Coffey was an Ontario barrister.


Print and Carbon Copy, n.d., 1938, 50 pp (Acc. 631)

A brief by D.J. Coffey, n.d., concerning the reinstatement of Dr. John Emil Hett in the medical profession in Ontario, together with Proceedings of the Ontario Medical Council, 1938 relating to Dr. Hett.


Prospector Reuben D'Aigle was born in Chipman, New Brunswick. He joined the Klondike Gold Rush in 1898 and over the next half-century prospected in northern Ontario, Québec and Labrador. D'Aigle staked some successful claims, but ironically he is most famous for a strike he narrowly missed making, the 'dome' of gold which became the Hollinger mine (1907). The financial crash of 1929 prevented him from exploiting his valuable iron-ore claims in Labrador.


Originals, Printed Materials, Photocopies, Phonodisc and Photographs, 1874-1959, 25 cm (M.G. 2060)

The D'Aigle papers fall into three series: diaries, correspondence and a scrapbook of photographs and memorabilia. The diaries (1912-1914, 1927, 1935-1952) are largely devoted to a day-by-day account of prospecting journeys. Correspondence with members of his family, partners, prospective financial backers and government mining bureaus covers the years 1900-1959. The scrapbook contains personal mementos, newsclippings about D'Aigle, photographs of his journeys, lists of supplies for prospecting trips, and maps, some drawn by D'Aigle himself.


Born at Maidenhead, England, Doughty came to Canada in 1886 and served for a number of years as a clerk in a Montréal mercantile firm. In 1897 he entered the Québec civil service and later became joint librarian of the Legislative Library at Québec in 1901. Doughty succeeded Douglas Brymner as Dominion archivist in 1904, a position which he held until his retirement in 1935. He was the author of literary works and of several volumes of Canadian history. He was created C.M.G., 1905; K.C.M.G., 1935; elected F.R.H.S. (England), 1902; F.R.S.C., 1905.


Originals, 1902-1913, 5 cm (CH274.Bd230)

This consists of a collection of about 100 letters mostly addressed to A.G. Doughty from 1902 to 1913. Many of the letters contain historical matter relating to the early history of Québec, although some are personal.


A.T. Galt Durnford was born in Montréal in 1898 and obtained his Bachelor of Architecture from McGill University in 1922. He was connected with two architecture firms in New York City, but practised in Montréal from 1924 onwards. Durnford served in World War II as Lieut.-Commander (S.B.), R.C.N.V.R. He was also a member of a number of associations, including the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada and the Royal Institute of British Architects.


Originals, Copies and Photographs, 1917-ca 1950, 2 m

Durnford's papers fall into three series: student work, office records, and pictorial materials. From his student years there are two course notebooks, a sketch book of Montréal architecture, 1917; five of Paris, 1920; and five of New York City, 1923; and two rolls of plans for student projects. Office records for the early phase of Durnford's career, 1922-1930, comprise 1.2 m of architectural drawings and correspondence. Approximately 50 photographs and framed drawings show completed or proposed buildings by Durnford (some in partnership with Harold Fetherstonhaugh), including the Fisk Building in New York City, Douglas Hall at McGill, and town and country residences for the Molson Family.


Originals and Printed Materials, ca 1920, 1951, 5 cm (M.G. 3035)

Durnford's papers comprise two sketchbooks of Glasgow architecture and scenery, and of mediaeval and domestic architecture in France and Britain, ca 1920. Also included are postcards of Wells' Cathedral, England, ca 1920, and a mimeographed notebook for a piloting course, 1951.


Architect H.L. Fetherstonhaugh was born in Montréal and graduated from McGill in 1909. After two years of work in architects' offices in Montréal and New York, he travelled and studied in Europe until 1913. He practised only one year before the outbreak of World War I, when he joined the Canadian Field Artillery. After the War he practised in partnership with A.T. Galt Durnford, and subsequently J.D. McDougall. He was named ARCA in 1936, RCA in 1946, and served as president of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada in 1938-1939. Fetherstonhaugh's buildings, largely in Georgian or neo-Gothic style, include the Birks Building and Douglas Hall at McGill, the Church of St Andrew and St Paul, and private residences.


Originals, ca 1925-1930, ca 30 drawings and 1 framed painting

Three blueprint drawings for renovations on McGill's Arts Building by Fetherstonhaugh and McDougall and a series of drawings for the Birks Building (1929-1930). Also included is an undated oil painting of a tropical harbour scene by Fetherstonhaugh.

FINDLAY, ROBERT, 1859-1951

Robert Findlay, architect, was born in Inverness, Scotland, and emigrated to Montréal in 1885. After winning the competition for the first Sun Life Building, he developed an extensive practice, largely in grand houses for Montréal merchants and industrialists. Until 1906 his style was irregular and picturesque; later he favoured a more classical mode, of which the Mortimer Davis House (now McGill's Purvis Hall) was the earliest expression.


Originals and Photographs, 1891-1936, 25 cm and ca 125 drawings

Architectural drawings covering the period 1891-1936 include designs for Westmount City Hall (1922), Calvary Church (n.d.), and approximately 20 private residences: the last category includes the Mortimer Davis House (1906), the Reford House on Drummond St. (1900), and the Hallward residence (now Martlet House) built in 1925. Two bound volumes record drawings completed by Findlay's firm between 1908 and 1931. A sketch book and two albums of photographs of Findlay's buildings are also included.

GALE, SAMUEL, 1783-1865

Born in St. Augustine, Florida, Samuel Gale came to Canada with his Loyalist parents after the American Revolution. In 1807 he became a lawyer and represented among other clients, the Earl of Selkirk. In 1823, he was made the chairman of the magistrates of the Quarter Sessions in Montréal. In 1834, Gale was appointed by Governor Aylmer as judge of the Court of King's Bench at Montréal. He was temporarily transferred to Trois-Rivières because of the storm of controversy which his appointment caused. Members of the Patriote Party claimed that Gale was a political partisan and consequently should not be given the judicial appointment. However, his appointment was upheld. He retired from the Bench in 1848 because of ill health.


Originals, 1800-1839, 8 cm (M22086)

The Samuel Gale papers deal with his political, legal, and judicial activities as well as his private life. The collection consists primarily of correspondence with the Earl of Dalhousie, concerning political matters, 1829 and judicial activities, 1823-1830; with the Earl of Selbirk and his factor, Alexander Mundell pertaining to legal and business affairs, 1800-1820 and with Lady Selkirk concerning her travels and their common friends, 1817-1828.

GOULD, CHARLES H., fl 1877-1919

Charles Gould received his B.A. from McGill in 1877. He was University Librarian from 1893 until his death in 1919. Under his direction, the collection was greatly expanded and the travelling libraries set up. Gould also inaugurated the training of librarians at McGill with the establishment of a summer school.


Originals, 1909-1919, 25 cm (M.G. 4075)

Gould's correspondence and letterbook with the American Library Association primarily relates to local arrangements for the A.L.A. annual conference in Montréal in 1900 and to his duties as President of A.L.A. in 1908-1909. Listed.


Frederick Griffin, the son of Robert Griffin, was born in Montréal. He studied law and was called to the bar of Lower Canada in 1824. He served as the solicitor to the Bank of Montreal. Griffin was counsel to the Board of the Royal Institution during the principalship of John Bethune.


Originals, 1827-1876, 2.5 cm (Large MSS, CM68.B224)

These documents and letters accumulated during the course of Griffin's legal career, include dockets of the firm Griffin & Sewell, 1833-1875; legal notes by Griffin concerning wills, sales, and mortgages 1850-1876; legal documents of property transfers and marriage contracts 1826-1860; and notes on marine insurance in the St Lawrence 1843-1848. There are as well two notebooks of legal definitions, ca 1860. Some of Griffin's papers have been dispersed; the index should be consulted to locate these.


Montrealer R.A.C. Henry took a double degree - B.A. and B.Sc.- from McGill in 1912. In 1912 he joined the federal Department of Railways and Canals as an inspecting engineer, and in 1923 became the Director of the Bureau of Economics of the C.N.R. He returned to the Department of Railways and Canals as deputy minister in 1929. Henry became vice-president and general manager of Beauharnois Corporation in 1930 and vice-president of Montreal Heat, Light and Power in 1939; he held both positions until 1944. During World War II, he served as economic adviser, and later executive assistant to the Minister of Munitions, deputy minister of the Department of Reconstruction, and president of Defence Communications Ltd., a crown corporation formed to coordinate communications systems in Eastern Canada on behalf of the armed forces. Henry was also Canada's representative on the Transportation Equipment Committee, surveying transportation needs in liberated war areas. He was named chairman of the Air Transport Board in 1944, but resigned in 1948 to take up a post as executive vice-president of Marine Industries Ltd, a position he held until his death. From 1952 to 1954, he was consulting engineer to the St Lawrence Seaway Project.


Originals, Printed Materials, and Photographs, 1911-1960, 5 m (M.G. 2069)

These professional papers of R.A.C. Henry cover every phase of his career from 1911 to 1960. A significant percentage relates to the St. Lawrence Seaway, and covers the period 1920-1960; these files contain information on estimated costs, power and navigation development, canal systems, engineering problems, Canada-U.S. relations, Québec and Ontario hydro, the implications of the project for the Montréal area, and historical aspects. The remaining files likewise contain correspondence, reports, memoranda and notes. Topics covered include railways in Canada and Mexico, 1913-1932; canals, particularly Lachine, Welland, and Sault Ste Marie, 1913-1915; the Québec hydro-electric industry, 1922-1946; Defence Communications Ltd., ca 1949-1954; air transportation, 1944-1957; and various reports on general economic questions or the affairs of specific companies for which Henry was consultant.


Philip Hepworth was a British architect.


Originals, n.d., 6 drawings

These Hepworth materials comprise 6 rendered drawings, pen and pencil sketches, and watercolours.


Architect John Hopkins was born in Liverpool, England, and came to Canada in 1852. By 1855 he was working in partnership with Lawford and Nelson, by 1870 with Wily, and by 1879 with his son E.C. Hopkins. His specialty was commercial buildings (insurance companies, banks, stores, the Montreal Harbour Commissioners Building), but he also designed private residences, the Mechanics' Institute and the St James Club. He was the first president of the Province of Québec Association of Architects (1890-1891).


Originals, 1874, 1886 and n.d., 7 drawings

Hopkins' papers comprise designs for the Montreal Harbour Commission area, 1874, the Kingston Post Office, the Wanklyn House, n.d., and the Angus house in Senneville, 1886.


A.C. Hutchison was born in Montréal and learned the stone cutter's trade as an apprentice to his father, a prominent builder. In this capacity he oversaw the cut stone work on Christ Church Cathedral and on the Parliament Buildings in Ottawa. Though lacking a formal education in architecture, he began to practise in 1863 as partner with Maurice Perrault on the building of Montréal's City Hall. From 1880 until 1891 he worked with A.D. Steele; their most famous building was McGill's Redpath Museum. Later he went into partnership with George Wood, and his son William B. Hutchison eventually joined the firm. Hutchison designed a wide variety of commercial, domestic, religious and educational buildings, and was one of the first to use "expended metal", an early form of reinforced concrete.


Originals and Blue-print Copies, 1913 and n.d., 38 drawings

Hutchison's papers comprise 6 drawings (in partnership with Steele) for the residence and shop of Alfred Joyce, Phillips Square, n.d., and 32 drawings (with Wood and John Melville Miller) for the Stanley St. Presbyterian Church, Westmount, 1913.

JONES, DAVID THOMAS, fl 1816-1849

David Thomas Jones was a provincial land surveyor from 1819-1849 and concurrently a school master in the Free Schools of the Royal Institution in the St. Thomas Parish, District of Québec and the Lachine Parish, Montréal from 1816-1831.


Originals, 1816-1849, 2 cm (Unaccessioned)

The greater part of the David Thomas Jones' papers concerns his professional activities and consists of land surveys, 1819-1849, correspondence from the secretary of the Royal Institution, 1827-1831, his commission as a school teacher, 1816 and report on the number of scholars at his school in Lachine, 1823. Also included are legal acts of birth concerning two of his children, 1824, 1830 and note on medicinal mixtures, n.d.


Hugh G. Jones was born in Randolph, Wisconsin and studied architecture at the University of Wisconsin and with G.E. Bertrand of Minneapolis. Following a brief period in Chicago and New York, Jones came to Montréal in 1908 as assistant chief architect of the Canadian Pacific Railway. He designed several railway hotels and stations, amongst them Toronto's Union Station (1912-1929), as well as churches and public buildings.


Originals and Copies, ca 1923, 6 drawings and 2 bound vols

Six perspective drawings and two volumes of reduced photocopies of drawings document Jones' plans for Central Station, Montréal.


Frederick Lawford, a pupil of Charles Barry, practiced as an architect in partnership with J. and H.C. Nelson (and for a while, with John Hopkins) in the middle decades of the 19th century.


Originals, n.d., 3 drawings

Lawford and Nelson's designs for the Church of St. James the Apostle, the Mount Royal Cemetary gates and a proposed exhibition building for Montréal comprise the firm's papers.

LOUET, GEORGES, fl 1540-1608

Spécialiste du droit canonique français, Georges Louet fut originaire d'Angers. Il franchit tous les échelons de la hiérarchie de l'@glise pour devenir un chanoine à la Cathédrale de sa ville natale. Sa réputation comme juriste le fit remarquer en tant qu'avocat dans la cause de divorce d'Henri IV et de Marguerite de France; mais sa renommée repose surtout sur son Recueil sur les Arrests, publié d'abord en 1602 et réédité 11 fois avant 1633.


Copie, 1674, 186 pp M282.Bd293)

Copie manuscrite du Recueuil sur les Arrests de Louet reliée à un second traité de lois de 57 feuilles.

MacLEOD, H.A.F., fl 1875

A partner in the firm of Henry and MacLeod, H.A.F. MAcLeod was a land surveyer for the Canadian Pacific Railway.


Originals, 1875, 1.25 cm (M5931)

MacLeod's journal of surveying notes begins in Edmonton and continues towards the Jasper Valley and covers the period from 5 August 1875 to September 2, 1875.


Edward Maxwell was born in Montréal, and served his architectural apprenticeship under A.F. Dunlop, and subsequently in Boston under the firm of Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge. He returned to Montréal to supervise the construction of the Board of Trade Building for his Boston firm, and in 1893 set up his own practice. He worked independently until 1903 when he entered into partnership with his brother, William Sutherland Maxwell. W.S. Maxwell's training at the Boston Architectural Club and under H.F. Dunlop was fairly similar to his brother's, but also included a more academic formation at the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris. The firm designed prestigious private residences, public buildings such as the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, a number of CPR hotels and stations, the Legislative Buildings in Regina, and the Justice Building in Ottawa. After Edward's death, W.S. Maxwell continued to practice in partnership with Gordon Pitts.


Originals and Photographs, 1893-1951, 2 m and ca 18,000 drawings

These papers consist largely of architectural drawings for approximately 360 projects, largely those undertaken by the joint firm of Edward and W.S. Maxwell. Supplementing these are financial records of Edward Maxwell, Edward and W.S. Maxwell and Maxwell and Pitts, comprising account books from 1893 to 1899 and 1914 to 1951, a daybook from 1900 to 1904 and ledgers from 1890 to ca 1937. Other office records include an office journal for 1892, a daily work log for 1899, a summary of operations for 1899 to 1901, a record of draughtsmen's hours (1894-1901), a "tender book", including correspondence and memoranda (1892-1893), an index of clients and a notebook of furniture costs for CPR hotel rooms, including some furniture designs. Approximately, 1 m of mounted photographs taken for the firm shows views of their buildings.

Personal materials relating to Edward Maxwell include a sketch book dated 1918-1923, six sketch books for measured drawings, a personal photograph collection (largely of American buildings, including exhibitions pavillions) and an oil painting of the Church of the Messiah, Sherbrooke St.

McDOUGALL AND SMITH, fl 1920-1930

J. Cecil McDougall and John Roxborough Smith practiced as a firm of architects in Montréal, ca 1920s-1930s.


Photographs, n.d., 4 cm

This album of photographs shows buildings designed by McDougall and Smith.



Originals and Copies, ca 1930-ca 1965, ca 165 drawings

This collection of original drawings, photographs and blue-prints includes about 135 campus plans and measured drawings of McGill buildings, and approximately 30 drawings illustrating various proposals for an extension to Redpath Library, 1944-1950.


F.E. Meredith was born in Québec City and educated at Bishop's University (B.A. 1883) and Laval (LL.B. 1887, LL.M. and LL.D. 1904). He practiced in Montréal with the firm of Meredith, Holden, Heward and Holden, and was appointed Q.C. in 1899. Meredith was the student, and later partner of Prime Minister John Abbott. He served as Chancellor of Bishop's University from 1926 to 1932.


Originals, 1903-1938, 1.2 m (M.G. 4058)

The major component of Meredith's papers consists of 1 m of personal correspondence files, dating from 1903 to 1938, and is largely concerned with finances eg. memberships, purchases, and the liquidation of his mother's estate . The remainder concerns Meredith's Chancellorship of Bishop's University (1925-1938), and his introduction of a private member's bill (1926-1927) to have his son W.C.J. Meredith admitted to the Québec Bar on the strength of his Cambridge degree.


Nelson and Cliff practiced as a firm of architects in Montréal in the latter part of the 19th century.


Originals, 1889 and n.d., 3 drawings

Designs prepared by the firm include one for a store for B.A. Boas, St Catherine St., Montréal and a plan and presentation drawing for the Sherbrooke General Hospital, 1889.


Percy Nobbs was born in Haddington, Scotland, and raised in St. Petersburg (now Leningrad), Russia. He earned his M.A. from the University of Edinburgh at the age of 21, and from 1896 to 1901 studied architecture at the Edinburgh College of Art under Sir Robert Lorimer. In 1900 he won the Tite Prize, which enabled him to continue his studies in Italy. Nobbs accepted the Macdonald Chair of Architecture at McGill in 1903 and retained it until 1911, when he stepped down to become Professor of design and to undertake private practice in partnership with George T. Hyde. Nobbs and Hyde designed a number of buildings at McGill, the University of Alberta, schools for the Protestant School Board, and private residences. He retired from McGill in 1940, and in 1957 McGill awarded him the honorary degree of Doctor of Letters. Nobbs was also a talented designer of heraldry, lettering, furnishings and architectural ornament.


Originals, Blue-print Copies, and Photographs, ca 1900-ca 1964, 4.5 m and ca 11,000 drawings

Nobbs' student and prize drawings, proposals, and personally executed designs for buildings, monuments, heraldry and architectural details comprise about five per cent of the architectural drawings in these papers. The remaining drawings are the records of 631 projects undertaken by the firm of Nobbs and Hyde, together with a few by Nobbs and Valentine. Supplementing these are 5 albums of photographs and approximately 3.6 m of plastic and glass negatives taken by Nobbs and showing his buildings. Nobbs' personal correspondence files, ca 50 cm, also contain his reports on urban planning, some drawings and an autobiographical sketch.


Alvaro Ortega was born in Bogota, Colombia, and educated in Brussels, Paris and Montréal. He graduated in architecture from McGill in 1944.


Originals and Blue-print Copies, 1961, 41 drawings, 2 photographs

Drawings for low-cost housing using asbestos roofing tile, part of a project prepared for the United Nations, are accompanied by photographs showing the tiles being assembled.


William Anderson Phillips (fl 1840-1880), a son of Thomas Phillips (ca 1808-1842) and Martha Anderson (d.1881) was admitted to the Chamber of notaries of Montréal in 1851. In 1855 he married Mary Ann Johnstone and they had at least one child, Mary N. Phillips.


Originals, 1840-1906, 1 m (M21585)

The bulk of the Phillips family papers comprise the professional records of William Anderson Phillips and consists of copies and drafts of notarial documents, 1840-1880. Also included is the personal correspondence of William Anderson Phillips, 1843-1865, Mary Ann Phillips, 1875-1889 and Mary N. Phillips, 1906.

PRICE, BRUCE, 1845-1903

Architect Bruce Price was born in Cumberland, Maryland, and educated there and at the College of New Jersey. Family difficulties forced him to leave college and take a job as a clerk, but he studied architecture in his spare time. Eventually he obtained a position as a draughtsman, was able to study abroad, and opened his first practice in Baltimore. He later worked in Wilkes-Barre, and in 1877 finally settled in New York City. At first he specialized in domestic buildings, but his later works include the Windsor and Place Viger stations in Montréal, Royal Victoria College and the Banff Springs Hotel. His American Surety Building in New York City is his most famous and influential design.


Blue-print Copies, 1888-1889, 9 drawings

Price's designs for Windsor Station, Montréal, comprise 9 blueprint drawings.

RACEY FAMILY, 1802-1848

John Racey (1809-1847) was born in Québec City but later studied medicine in Montréal and Edinburgh. He had returned to Montréal by 1833 and was a professor of medicine at McGill for two years. In 1833, he married Susannah Wise (1814-1883) a daughter of Québec City merchant Joseph Wise. In 1835, Racey set up practice in Québec City with Dr. James Douglas. During the typhus epidemic of 1847, he saw between 500 and 600 patients a day at the Quebec Marine and Immigration Hospital. Eventually, he contracted the disease and died.


Originals, Copies, 1802-1848, 10 cm (Unaccessioned)

The Racey family papers concern the medical practice of John Racey and the business activities as well as the travels of Joseph Wise. A notebook, 1847-1848, kept by Suzannah Wise-Racey deals with her husband's life and career as a doctor in Montréal and Québec City especially in regard to his treatment of patients during the typhus epidemic of 1847 in Québec City. Photocopies of the letterbooks, 1802-1818, of Joseph Wise document his various voyages and his business ventures.


Kenneth Rea began his architectural studies under A.F. Dunlop of Montréal in 1894. Around 1900 he went to work for a Boston firm, and a year later was appointed to supervise the New York Office of Cram, Goodhue and Ferguson, designers of churches, as well as of West Point Military Academy. After four or five years, he returned to Montréal as an associate of the Montreal Light, Heat and Power Company, whose building on Craig St. he designed. Thereafter he practised independently. Examples of his work include Bank of Montreal buildings in Halifax, Québec, Grandmère, Vancouver, Victoria, Calgary and Hamilton, as well as the Montreal Badminton and Squash Club and a number of private residences.


Originals and photographs, ca 1924 and 1930, ca 20 drawings and 12 photographs

Rea's remodelling of J.W. McConnell's house in 1924 is documented by drawings and a portfolio of 12 photographs. His papers also include 16 drawings for the Bank of Montreal building in Calgary (1930).

READE, JOHN, 1837-1919

John Reade, poet, essayist and journalist, was born in Ireland and came to Canada in 1856. He soon became involved in the Montreal literary scene, and helped to establish the Literary Magazine. After a short period studying law, he turned to theology and was ordained in the Anglican church in 1864. For a few years he served parishes in the Eastern Townships, but eventually returned to Montréal, where he renounced his clerical profession in favour of journalism. In 1870, he became the literary and general editor of the Gazette a post he held for over forty years. His regular column "Old and New", featured Montréal history and antiquities. In 1870, he published The Prophecies of Merlin and other poems; he also edited other volumes of verse and produced some translations. He was awarded an honorary LL.D. from the University of Ottawa in 1906.


Originals and Printed Materials, 1870-ca 1919, 14 cm (Unaccessioned)

The John Reade papers are concerned with his literary activities and consists of incoming correspondence, 1890-ca 1919 and a notebook ca 1870 in which he records where copies of The Prophecies of Merlin were sent. The notebook includes printed reviews of the book.


Helen Reid was born in Montréal and educated at the High School for Girls. Together with Rosalie McLea, she approached J. W. Dawson, Principal of McGill, in 1884 to present the case for the admission of women to McGill. She graduated as valedictorian of her class of 'Donaldas' in 1889, with first class honours in modern languages. After a period of study in Switzerland and Germany, she returned to Montréal to undertake work in her two major fields of interest, civic responsibility and internationalism. She founded and directed a number of charitable or educational organizations, served on government committees and published in the fields of social welfare, public health and immigration. She also translated and wrote poetry. Reid travelled widely, and enjoyed a circle of friends from many countries, particularly India. Her work was recognized by a C.B.E. in 1935, and by numerous other awards and honours.


Originals, 1885-1934, 9 cm (Unaccessioned)

These personal papers consist of an album of calling cards, poems, sketches, and correspondence, including letters from Charles G. D. Roberts and Louis Frechette, dating from 1885 to ca 1900; also included are typescripts of two of her poems, "Contemplation" and "My Prayer Star" and an autograph book, 1927-1934, which contains poems and messages, many from her Indian friends.

RHIND, JAMES R., fl 1890s

James Rhind was born in Inverness, Scotland, and studied architecture in his native city under his brother, John Rhind. From about 1880 to 1888 he worked for a number of London firms, prior to establishing a practice in Montréal. He designed the detail and supervised the construction of the Royal Victoria Hospital.


Originals, 1894, 4 drawings

Rhind's papers comprise four drawings for an addition to the house of Arthur E. Abbott in Senneville.


Alan Ridge was born in Brighton and took an honours degree in history from University College, London, in 1947. In the following year he earned the diploma of the School of Archives Administration. Ridge worked as assistant archivist for the London County Council from 1948 to 1958, and for the National Coal Board from 1958 to 1962. In 1962 he became McGill's first University Archivist and in 1968 was appointed Provincial Archivist of Alberta.


Originals, 1964-1967, 4 cm (M.G. 4031)

Ridge's lectures and addresses to Extension Department classes, the McGill University Library Staff Association, Library School students at McGill and Carleton and professional organizations discuss the nature of archives and archival procedures.

ROGET, PETER MARK, 1779-1869


Originals, 1830-1856, 4 cm (M78.Bd66)

This collection consists of letters written to P.M. Roget by various people, 1830-1856.


Born in Melbourne, Australia, R.H. MacDonald (1875-1924) studied architecture in Melbourne, Montréal (under Robert Findlay) and New York. He joined the firm of Ross and MacFarlane in 1907, and in 1913 the partnership changed to Ross and MacDonald. He designed major hotels, railway stations and commercial buildings across Canada, as well as the Montreal Forum, Toronto's Maple Leaf Gardens, and the T. Eaton Co. stores in both cities.


Blue-print Copies, 1931, 10 drawings

These papers comprise blue-print drawings for the Toronto Maple Leaf Garden.


G.A. Ross practised architecture in partnership with MacFarlane in Montréal until 1913, when the firm changed its name to Ross and Macdonald (see separate entry above).


Blue-print and White-print Copies, 1910 and n.d., 17 drawings

The firm's records comprise 11 blue-prints for the Lt. Col. Smart house in Westmount (1910) and 6 white-prints for the Guy and St. Catherine St. branch of the Bank of Toronto.


Architect Charles J. Saxe worked with John S. Archibald (see separate entry) between about 1909 and 1915. On his own and in partnership with John Melville Miller he designed private residences, apartment buildings, and public buildings.


Blue-print Copies, n.d., ca 25 drawings

These papers comprise Saxe and Miller's designs for the Royal Montreal Golf Club.


Ford Cushing Smith was a civil engineer.


Originals and Photographs, 1917-1923, 2 cm (New MSS)

The diary of Ford Cushing Smith, 1922, describes activities related to the dry dock at Lauzon, Québec, and includes photographs depicting its construction, 1917-1923.

SMITH, WALTER H., fl 1849-1895

Smith was a Montréal publisher.


Originals, 1849-1895, 24 cm (CH34.Bd247, Large MSS)

This collection contains the personal and business papers of Walter H. Smith, 1849-1895. It includes diaries, poetry, accounts, and papers concerned with a variety of topics including transportation, immigration, and the Chicago Exhibition, 1893.


Andrew Taylor was born in Edinburgh and received his architectural training in his native city and in London. He practiced briefly in London, winning a number of important prizes and competitions before coming to Montréal in 1883. His family connections with the Redpaths and Drummonds facilitated the establishment of his new practice. He designed a number of private residences, banks, and McGill University buildings (Redpath Library, Macdonald Physics, Chemistry and Engineering Buildings), largely in a characteristic neo-Romanesque style. Taylor retired to England in 1904, devoting himself henceforth to public life and educational administration. He was knighted in 1926.


Originals and Copies, 1888, ca 1891, and n.d., 16 drawings

Taylor's papers comprise six drawings for Sir George Drummond's house on Sherbrooke St., 1888, two of the Macdonald Chemistry Building, four for "Ravenscrag" (now the Allen Memorial Institute) and copies of four for Redpath Library, ca 1891.



VALLANCE, HUGH A., 1866-1947

Hugh Vallance studied architecture in both Canada and the United States before opening a practice in Montréal. He designed the Southam Press and Herald buildings in Montréal, the buildings of the University of Saskatchewan (1912) and the Crane Building in Montréal (1922).


Blue-print Copies, 1918, 1925, ca 23 drawings

Vallance and David Brown's design for the Montréal YMCA (1918) is contained in 16 blue-print drawings and that for the Strathcona Medical Building, 1908, in 6 blue-print drawings. A single blue print shows plans for the Beaconsfield Golf Club designed with Barrott and Blackader, 1925.

WARREN, ROBERT B., 1891-1950

Called by F. Cyril James "one of the wisest of American economists during the period between the two World Wars", Robert B. Warren was the co-author of The State in Society (1939) and of The Search for Financial Security (1940). Born in Plattsburg, N.Y., on March 15, 1891, he graduated from Hamilton College in Clinton, before going to Harvard. He worked for the Federal Reserve Board of Washington (1922-1926) and the Federal Reserve Bank of New York (1926-1927) before joining Case, Pomeroy & Co. of New York as economist and vice-president (1928-1938). In 1939, he joined the Institute for Advanced Study of Princeton University and worked also as consultant to the U.S. Treasury between 1942 and 1945. His papers were passed to Cyril James, with a request by the Rockefeller Foundation to write a critical biography of Warren. Pressure of work made it impossible for James to complete the work.


Originals, ca 1930s, 30 cm (M.G. 3019)

The Warren Papers consist mainly of manuscripts of addresses, articles and reports prepared by Warren on various aspects of economics and governmental economic policy.

WELLS, ELLEN BAKER, fl 1968-1972

Ellen Wells was the Assistant Osler Librarian, (1968-1971) and the Acting Osler Librarian, (1971-1972).


Originals and Typescripts, 1977,30 cm (Acc. 578)

Data gathered and recorded on cards by Ellen Baker Wells for an article entitled "Books for the Bibliotheca: A Study of Sir William Osler's Book Bills," 1977.

WILSON, DANIEL, fl 1830s

Daniel Wilson was a 19th century Montréal architect.


Original, n.d., 1 drawing

Wilson's design for a monument to Daniel Tracy (1795-1832) in Mount Royal Cemetery.

YOUNG, WILLIAM, 1843-1900


Originals, n.d., 2 drawings

Young's papers comprise 2 working architectural drawings for the War Office Building, London.