SPECIAL COLLECTION: FRENCH REFUGEES IN BRITAIN, 1792-1802
RARE BOOK DEPARTMENT
Original, 1792-1802, 23 pp
Minutes of a meeting of the Committee of Ladies for the Relief of French Immigrants, Ladies and Female Children, 7 June 1796, as well as papers concerning relief of French clergy and laity.
AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF MEDICAL SOCIAL WORKERS. EASTERN CANADA DISTRICT, MONTREAL BRANCH, 1920-1958
The American Association of Medical Social Workers was formed in the words of its Constitution, "to serve as an organ of intercommunication among hospital social workers, to maintain and improve standards of social work in medical or psychiatric institutions and to stimulate its intensive and extensive development." The Eastern Canada Division was created in 1920, and comprised individuals and institutions in Québec, Ontario and the Maritimes. Meetings were open to all social workers, and in the Montréal branch, to social work students at McGill. Most of the membership was English-speaking and worked in hospitals or social agencies.
Originals and Copies, 1920-1958, 26 cm (M.G. 4022)
The records of the Montréal branch comprise minutes of the Executive Committee, 1920-1956, reports from committees (e.g. nominating and programme committees) and study groups (e.g. on aging, the handicapped), annual reports, 1924-1947, Constitution and by-law, 1925-1941, correspondence with other social work groups, and some correspondence with individuals.
ATHENAEUM CLUB OF MONTREAL, 1888
RARE BOOK DEPARTMENT
Originals, 1888, 142 pp (New MSS)
The minutes of the Club are accompanied by a letter from the Secretary, George Murray, to Wilfrid Skaife. Skaife notes in the minute book that "no further meetings of the Society were held".
BEAVER CLUB, 1785-1804, 1807-1827
The Beaver Club was a dining club founded in Montréal in 1785 by prominent North West Company fur traders who had spent at least one winter in the Northwest. Although this particular regulation was later amended to allow for the election of new members, the club's membership never exceeded fifty active members and ten honorary members.
Originals, 1807-1827, 2 cm (M14449-50)
A minute book, 1807-1827 gives lists of members, new members and guests, bills for the meetings, including the costs of the dinners and liquor, with some resolutions. Also included is a list of rules for the Beaver Club, 1807. The minute book is part of the North West Company Papers, Section V, Business and Economy.
BROTHERS-IN-LAW SOCIETY OF MONTREAL, 1827-1833
The Brothers-in-Law Society was formed in 1827 by a group of Montréal lawyers including John Samuel McCord, Alexander Buchanan and William Badgley. The society's members met regularly to wine and dine until the society was disbanded in 1833.
Original, 1827-1833, 4 cm M21413)
The collection consists of the minute book of the Brothers-in-Law Society of Montreal, 1827-1833.
CANADIAN CLUB OF MONTREAL, 1905-
The aim of the Canadian Club of Montreal is, in its own words, "fostering patriotism by encouraging the study of the institutions, history, arts, literature and resources of Canada, and an appreciation of matters of interest and concern to Canadians". The Club was founded in 1905 by two former members of the Canadian Club of Toronto (founded in 1897, following the inception of the Canadian Club movement in Hamilton in 1893) and its first invited speaker was the novelist Jerome K. Jerome. The membership of the Club has tended to become identified with the business community, and the speeches which constitute its major activity have concentrated heavily on public policy, economic issues and international relations.
Originals, Copies, Photographs, Printed Materials, 1935-1983, 1.2 m (M.G. 1065)
The administrative records of the Canadian Club of Montreal comprise minutes of the Executive Committee, 1941-1972 and correspondence files of the president, largely on membership, speeches delivered at Club meetings, and Club policy, 1964-1971. Financial records include statements, 1942-1971, bonds, 1958-1965, receipts, 1960-1979, annual dues, 1972-1976, and correspondence of the Secretary-Treasurer, 1964-1965). Material pertaining to the Club's programmes consists of notices of meetings, 1922-1979, registers of head table guests, 1935-1967, and copies of addresses delivered before the Club, 1966-1973, 1982-1983.
CENTRAIDE APPEAL, 1975-1980
The Centraide Appeal, formerly the Federated Appeal, is conducted at McGill with the cooperation of Management Systems and the Payroll and Human Resources departments. Various McGill staff members have served as coordinators, including Professors G. Snider and S.B. Frost.
Originals, 1975-1980, 15 cm (M.G. 4019) RESTRICTED
The coordinators' records consist of correspondence, statistics, and contribution records.
FIRE CLUB, MONTREAL, 1786-1814
Isaac Todd, James McGill and Benjamin and Joseph Frobisher were members of this club formed for the mutual protection of its members from fire.
RARE BOOK DEPARTMENT
Originals, 1786-1814, 118 pp (CH133.S3)
Minutes book of the club from 1786 to 1814.
FRIEDMAN, DAVID S., fl 1906-1921
Originals, 1906-1921, .5 cm (M.G. 4036)
Most of this small file of correspondence concerns the work of various Jewish relief agencies collecting funds to assist European Jews during and after World War I.
HISTORY ASSOCIATION OF MONTREAL, ca 1920-1973
The History Association of Montreal began in the 1920s in order to bring together university and secondary school teachers, university students, and those of the general public interested in history. Its programmes alternated between Canadian and non-Canadian themes. Its membership and lecturers included many McGill University professors.
Originals and Printed Materials, 1963-1972, 20 cm (M.G. 2070)
The records of the History Association comprise minute books, 1963-1970, membership lists, the Treasurer's receipts and correspondence, and general files on programmes, guest speakers, outings, liaison with other societies, and the Adair Prize.
McGILL COLLEGE BOOK CLUB, 1902-1939
This Club consisted of benefactors of the McGill Library.
RARE BOOK DEPARTMENT
Originals, 1902-1939, 74 pp (Bd303)
This collection contains minutes of meetings, financial accounts, annual reports and correspondence relating to the book club.
MOLSON FAMILY. 1807-1910
SEE SECTION V. BUSINESS AND ECONOMY, MOLSON FAMILY PAPERS
MONTREAL ANTI-TUBERCULOSIS AND GENERAL HEALTH LEAGUE, 1924-1930
The Montreal Anti-Tuberculosis and General Health League was organized in 1924 to co-ordinate research into public health conditions in the city, to stimulate public interest in and knowledge of these problems, and to lobby for government action. The League sponsored publications, conducted popular courses, funded the hiring of public health nurses, and made surveys. They operated out of both English and French headquarters. With the establishment of the Board of Health, the League considered its main purposes achieved and disbanded in 1930. Many prominent Montrealers sat on its board of directors, under the chairmanship of Sir Arthur Currie.
Originals, 1924-1930, 13 cm (M.G. 4028)
The administrative papers of the League comprise minutes of directors' meetings, 1924-1930, accounts, 1924-1928, a bank book, 1928-1929, and a copy of the final report.
MONTREAL COUNCIL OF SOCIAL AGENCIES, 1921-1976
The Montreal Council of Social Agencies, a co-ordinating organization for English-speaking, non-Roman Catholic social agencies, was formed in 1921 by John Howard Toynbee Falk, head of McGill's Department of Social Studies, later the McGill University School of Social Workers. Although details of the organization of the MCSA have been modified over the years, the basic structure remained constant: a Board of Directors, elected from the member agencies, directed the MCSA through administrative standing committees and, more importantly, set up numerous special committees to study specific social problems under the aegis of area advisory groups for health, aging, urban renewal, recreation, etc. The overwhelming emphasis of the MCSA on planning and research reflects its role as animator, information exchange and coordinator of a great variety of social agencies and groups, from major hospitals and fund-raising organizations to church groups and boys' clubs. In 1968, the MCSA merged with its French homologue, the Conseil de Développement Social; it ceased operations in 1976.
Originals and Printed Materials, 1921-1976, 15 m (M.G. 2076)
The administrative records of the MCSA contain annual reports, 1921-1968; minutes of annual meetings, 1956-1971; minutes and correspondence of the Board of Governors and its Executive Committee, 1953-1972; files on budgets and staffing, 1962-1973; and documents on the merger with the Conseil de Développement Social. The operations of standing committees (Committee on Committees, Admissions and Standards, Nominating, etc) are documented by broken series of minutes from 1937 to 1971. Far more extensive are the papers of special committees researching social problems such as school leaving, 1934; single parents, 1949; housing and urban renewal, 1967-1971; dental services for children, 1950-1961; and low-cost medication, 1970-1971. These files include case work studies, correspondence, minutes and reports. The question of day care is particularly well covered, both through committee materials and through the files of Barbara Heppner, MCSA Day Care Coordinator, 1969-70. Correspondence files contain letters and reports from member agencies, university schools of social work, co-ordinating bodies such as the Canadian Welfare Council and the Conseil de Bien-Etre du Québec, various citizen's groups, and government bodies. A large percentage of this material consists of information files, containing reports of, and studies by, American and Canadian social agencies, conference and workshop proceedings, and materials on social legislation.
MONTREAL HUNT CLUB, 1826-
Founded in 1826, the Montreal Hunt's two major activities were fox hunting and horse racing. The first Master of the Hunt was John Forsythe (1762-1837) and other masters have included Thomas Walter Jones (n.d.) and Alfred Baumgarten (b.1842). The Montreal Tandem Club was established in 1882 to foster tandem winter driving in the city. Although this club was not directly connected to the Montreal Hunt, its leaders included such prominent Hunt members as Hugh Montagu Allan (1860-1951) and Hugh Paton (b.1852).
Originals, Printed, 1859-1953, 4 m (Unaccessioned)
The administrative records of the Montreal Hunt consist of the following: constitution and by-laws, 1890-1941; minutes, 1870-1948; letterbook, 1882-1889; general correspondence of the secretary, 1878-1953; membership lists and correspondence, 1859-1947; scrapbooks, 1883-1940; and lists of hounds, 1877-1938. Also included are a minute book, 1906-1908 and correspondence, 1877-1914 concerning the Montreal Hunt Steeplechase. The financial records include annual statements, 1881-1941, account books, 1879-1941, and property records, 1886-1941. Also included are the minutes, 1882-1885, membership lists, 1881-1889 and rules, 1888-1889 of the Montreal Tandem Club.
MONTREAL MUTUAL BUILDING SOCIETY, fl 1883-1888
A self help organization, the Montreal Mutual Building Society was founded to enable workers to construct their own residences. The President, F.R. Clark was a chief clerk for the Grand Trunk Railway.
Original, 1883-1888, 3 cm (M16158)
MONTREAL PARKS AND PLAYGROUNDS ASSOCIATION/COMMUNITY GARDEN LEAGUE OF GREATER MONTREAL, 1902-1972
The Montreal Parks and Playgrounds Association was founded in 1902 and incorporated in 1904 to preserve and promote parks, playgrounds and open spaces. In later years the Association was a Red Feather Service Unit within the Welfare Federation and the Montreal Council of Social Agencies. In cooperation with the latter, the Association launched the Community Garden League of Greater Montreal to provide garden plots to unemployed heads of families. From 1937 until its dissolution in 1961, the business of the Community Garden League was conducted through the Parks and Playgrounds Association.
Originals, Copies, Printed Materials, and Photographs, 1902-1972, 5 m (M.G. 2079)
These papers comprise office files for the Parks and Playgrounds Association from 1902 to 1972, and for the Community Garden League from 1933 to 1959. The records of the Parks and Playgrounds Association include administrative and financial records, scrapbooks, photographs, public relations material and information files. Administrative records consist of general and committee minutes, 1902-1972, annual reports, 1902-1964, personnel files, 1937-1947, files of correspondence and memoranda on individual sites as well as themes, e.g. water pollution, 1906-1972; and various surveys and studies, 1912-1967. Financial operations are documented by budgets, 1960-1971, financial statements, 1948-1967; ledger sheets, 1951-1961; and invoices, 1939-1957, 1967. Scrapbooks of newsclippings cover the periods 1902-1904, 1916-1932, 1935-1937, 1939, and 1949-1964; some scrapbooks are thematic, e.g. one on the Mount Royal tram line. Over 1,000 photographs taken ca 1906-ca 1960 show parks, playgrounds, landmarks, street scenes, recreation activities, and the work of the Association. Public relations files, 1937-1952, 1955-1962, contain press releases, briefs, petitions, legislative bills, and correspondence related to lobbying and public awareness. Information files contain largely printed material on parks and recreation in Canada and the United States, 1935-1968.
Administrative records of the Community Garden League include minutes of its general committee, 1934-1952; annual reports, 1933-1959; correspondence and information files (1938-1949), and notices, 1938-1953, 1959.
MONTREAL PARLIAMENTARY DEBATING SOCIETY, 1884-1886
RARE BOOK DEPARTMENT
Original, 1884-1886, 2.5 cm (CH13.S49)
Minute book from 1884 to 1886.
NOTRE DAME DE GRACE WOMEN'S CLUB, 1922-
The Notre Dame de Grace Women's Club was founded in 1922. Its activities over the years have included education and fund raising for social welfare projects; lobbying for women's rights, representation and suffrage; promoting better housing, parks and playgrounds, public education, and child welfare; and hosting speakers, dramatic productions and social events.
Originals and Printed Materials, 1922-1981, 1.25 m (M.G. 4023)
The bulk of the Club's papers consist of minutes of the regular open meetings (covering programmes, funding and specific projects) from 1922 to 1981, and of the Board of Management (relating to financial matters, membership and committee work) for 1926-1928, 1932-1958, and 1974-1981. Financial records consist of an account book, 1943-1961, and a scrapbook of newsclippings documents the Club's activities from 1926 to 1930. There are also annual reports for the years 1950-1959 and 1976-1981.
SONS OF ENGLAND BENEFITS SOCIETY
RARE BOOK DEPARTMENT
Original, 1888, 1 cm (CH89.S107)
Address to Lord Stanley, the Governor-General with letters concerning the presentation of the address.
SONS OF ENGLAND BENEVOLENT SOCIETY, MONTREAL BRANCH, 1887-1971
The Sons of England Benevolent (or Benefit) Society was founded in Toronto in 1874 to provide cooperative insurance and purchase of burial plots. Organized into local lodges, the Society served mainly working class families. Montreal Lodges provided plots in Lakeview and Mount Royal Cemetaries. The Society ceased operations in 1971.
Originals, 1887-1948, 7 cm (M.G. 2055)
The lodge's records consist of a registration book giving the member's name, address, occupation, age, birthplace, wife's name, children between ages of 5 and 15, name of beneficiary, and occasionally remarks on the death of the member of cancellation of membership. Registration books survive from Primrose Lodge No. 49, 1887-1945, Denbigh Lodge No. 96, 1889-1944, Brittanic Lodge No. 113, 1890-1937 and Monarch Lodge No. 182, 1893-1948. Stray items of correspondence from banks or businesses may be found between the leaves of some volumes. The archive also contains two charters from Primrose Lodge, 1887.
ST. JAMES LITERARY SOCIETY, 1899-
The St. James Literary Society, dedicated, in the words of its Constitution, to "the mutual improvement of its members by means of speeches, essays, debates, etc. on social, political, scientific or literary subjects", held its first meeting in 1899 in the Anglican Church of St. James the Apostle. Formal affiliation with the Church ended in 1901. The Society has pursued its aims largely through its speakers programme, and from the 1901 session has appointed an officer to maintain copies of addresses. The ecclectic intellectual character of the Society has remained relatively unchanged over the years, although its membership base has broadened and its meetings are now public.
Originals, Copies, Printed Materials, Photographs, Audio-tapes, 1899-1980, 3.5 m (M.G. 3009)
The archives of the St. James Literary Society are divided evenly between administrative records and copies of addresses. Administrative records include minutes, 1899-1977, attendence registers, 1904-1969, correspondence, ca 1946-1964, and financial accounts, 1938-1966. Supplementing these are programmes, syllabi, and records of the Society's annual dinner, as well as newsclippings on the Society's members and activities, 1899-1978. Addresses to the Society are preserved in manuscript, typescript or audio-tape form, and are indexed by subject and speaker.
STRATHCONA MONUMENT FUND COMMITTEE, MONTREAL, 1900-1907
RARE BOOK DEPARTMENT
Originals, 1900-1907, 1 cm (CH207.S185)
Minutes of the Committee form to erect a monument commemorating the role of the Strathcona House in the South African War.
THEMIS CLUB, 1914-1981
Organized in 1914 and incorporated in 1919, the Themis Club was established as the first women's social club in Canada. The first president of the incorporated club was Margaret Rymer and other presidents included Helen D. Rhind, Edith J. Cresswell and Lois J. Daly. In 1919, the club acquired a permanent establishment on Sherbrooke St. West. By the 1920s the membership reached 250 and the club had established links with other women's clubs in Great Britain and the United States. Although the membership eventually grew to 650, a decline set in by the 1970s. The club's charter was abandonned in 1981.
Originals, Printed, 1914-1981, 40 cm (Unaccessioned)
The administrative records consist of articles of incorporation, 1919, 1925; printed by laws and lists of members, 1916, 1918, 1925, 1932, 1950; minutes of board of directors, semi-annual and annual meetings, general membership meetings, 1916-1974; and correspondence of the president concerning the dissolution of the club, 1981. The financial records consist of bonds, trust deeds, and mortgages, 1919-1959, as well as financial statements and auditors reports, 1950-1978.
TUPPER, CHARLES, 1821-1915
Sir Charles Tupper was born in Amherst, Nova Scotia, and earned his medical degree from Edinburgh University in 1843. He left a successful medical practice in 1855 to enter the provincial assembly of Nova Scotia. Provincial secretary from 1856 to 1860, and premier from 1864 to 1867, he took a leading role in the movement for Confederation. From 1867 to 1884 he sat as a conservative in the Federal House of Commons. He was Canada's first Minister of Railways and Canals (1879-1884), and introduced the bill for the C.P.R. charter (1881). From 1884 to 1896 he served as High Commissioner to London, and he was Prime Minister for a brief period in 1896. Thereafter Tupper lead the Opposition until 1900, when an election defeat occasioned his retirement from public life.
Microfilm and Photocopies, 1894, 1 reel (M.G. 2012)
Tupper's papers relate to the raising of funds to finance a bust in honour of Peter Redpath in 1895.
UNIVERSITY CLUB, 1885-1889
The University Club was formed in 1885 to provide a meeting place for members of any university who were in Montréal. The club was managed by McGill graduates. The University Literary Society used to meet in its rooms. Sir William Dawson was its first honorary president. Eventually the expense of maintaining the University street premises with its billiard room and reading room proved too heavy, and the Club disbanded in 1889. Some members of this club subsequently became founder members of the University Club of Montreal incorporated in 1907, but there is no organizational link between the two organizations.
Originals, 1885-1889, 3 cm (M.G. 4034)
The Club's minute book records special meetings, annual general meetings, monthly meetings and committee meetings.
WOMEN ASSOCIATES OF McGILL UNIVERSITY, 1906-1977
The Women Associates of McGill University is a social and service club predominantly made up of wives of members of faculty. It grew out of the amalgamation of the McGill Women's Club (an association of professors' wives formed in 1905) and the McGill Women's Union, established by the Ladies' Auxiliary of the McGill Y.M.C.A. to assist with Red Cross work during World War I. The Women's Union absorbed the McGill Women's Club in 1922, and in 1933 the name of the organization was changed to Women Associates. The club has promoted the social life of McGill through teas, and assisting in the organization of special celebrations. In the 1920s and 1930s, the Women Associates worked closely with the University Settlement. However, the major thrust of their service efforts are directed towards students: visiting those who are sick, helping foreign students adjust to Canada, establishing a bursary fund, and providing comforts for McGill men on active service during two World Wars.
Originals, Printed Materials and Photographs, 1906-1977 (M.G. 4021)
The administrative records of the Women Associates comprise minutes of the Women's Union, the amalgamated Women's Union - McGill Women's Club, and the Women Associates form 1915 to 1971. Annual reports for the Women's Union survive for most of the 1920's, and for the Women Associates in an unbroken series from 1933 to 1973. The secretary's files include letter registers (with additional clippings, correspondence, programmes and agendas) for the period 1915-1927, and membership lists for 1936-37. The obtaining of letters patent in 1943 is the subject of correspondence and legal documentation. Financial records, beginning with those of the Women's Union, are in the form of cashbooks, 1915-1946.
Registers of members and visitors were begun by McGill Women's Club, and continued by the Associates up to 1956. Statistics were compiled on attendence at teas, 1929-31, and on knitting during World War II, 1941-1946. Reports from committees on the University Settlement, Red Cross work, rationing, and the rooms registry cover the period 1934-1948. There are files on the establishment of the bursary fund and related money-raising activities. Informal and informational records comprise scrapbooks, 1944-1960, photographs, ca 1915, ca 1970, and files of historical memoranda.
YMCA, MONTREAL; McGILL LADIES' AUXILIARY, 1900-1929
The McGill branch of the Y.M.C.A. (Young Men's Christian Association) was housed in Strathcona Hall. Prominent among the membership of the Ladies' Auxillary were the wives of McGill faculty members.
Originals, 1900-1929, 3 cm (M.G. 4059)
The minute books of annual meetings deal with social events, programmes, financial affairs, furnishing of various rooms in Strathcona Hall and various guest speakers. There is also a very brief minute book of the Executive, 1902-1914.