Managing Electronic Records: digitalpermanence at McGill
(November 4, 2004)
digitalpermanence, a McGill University Archives initiative, aims to promote the collaborative, strategic, long-term management and preservation of McGill University's electronic records.
Visit the digitalpermanence section of our website for more information.
Wireless at the Archives: Wireless network connectivity available in the Reading Room
(September 23, 2004)
The University Archives' Reading Room can now accommodate
researchers whose notebooks or laptops are equipped with a wireless Network Interface
The McGill IST Customer Services unit provides information on connecting to the wireless network.
John Peters Humphrey virtual exhibit launched
(June 17, 2004)
The University Archives is proud to announce the launch of its virtual exhibit on John Peters Humphrey (1905-1995), the noted McGill professor who, among other highlights, drafted the original United Nations' Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
Using the University Archives' extensive photo and manuscript collection, the John Peters Humphrey: Citizen of the World virtual exhibit tells the mesmerizing story of Humphrey from his youth to his careers at McGill University and the United Nations to his life-long dedication to human rights worldwide.
The University Archives wishes to recognize the financial support provided by the Department of Canadian Heritage through the Canadian Culture Online Program, Library and Archives Canada, and the Canadian Council of Archives.
Visit the John Peters Humphrey virtual exhibit.
McGill History webpages undergo facelift
(June 17, 2004)
The historically rich McGill History webpages (part of the McGill History portal, the gateway to McGill's past) have undergone a major change. "We've reduced the number of subject categories, to simplify navigation, from six to three, while making the content all the more accessible," explains David Kemper, Webmaster.
The main categories are now: McGill Facts and Institutional History, People, and Campus Life.
The change also signifies a new framework for future content development. There are plenty of McGill History stories to tell, and the University Archives is preparing to tell them.
Visit the new McGill History webpage.
Google Site Search added to University Archives website
(May 13, 2004)
In an effort to improve accessibility to information, the University Archives has added Google Site Search to its website. Complementing a comprehensive Site Map, this new site help feature will enable users to find more relevant search results using Google's powerful indexing system.
Access the Site Search page.
McGill site + symbol: New Exhibit opens in the James Administration Building
(March 19, 2004)
Where: James Administration Building (lobby)
When: Monday Friday 9am5pm, open to the public
A permanent exhibit in the James Administration Building Lobby reflects McGill University’s development as physical site and symbol, from James McGill’s 19th century farm to formal campus views and heraldic coat-of-arms.
A series of panel designs by the University Archives include digital reproductions and texts outlining the founding and development of McGill’s downtown and Macdonald campuses, the history and transformation of the James Administration Building site, the history of women at McGill, and the evolution of the University’s coat-of-arms.
While not comprehensive the selections outline the McGill University story through views of its evolving campuses and official symbol. All panel designs are based on original archival holdings at the McGill University Archives. The Canadian Architecture Collection (McGill University) and the Virtual McGill website provided the Percy Nobbs colour reproduction
Also included in the James Administration Building Lobby is a Bronze bust of Principal F. Cyril James, for whom the building is named. The work is by Canadian artist Alan Hepburn Jarvis (1915-1972), Rhodes scholar, sculptor, art historian, and former Director of the National Gallery of Canada.
F. Cyril James was McGill University’s 11th Principal and 7th Vice-Chancellor between 1939 and 1962. Principal James’ term was marked by the expansion of the University's commitment to a number of traditional fields as well as its expansion into new ones: the Faculty of Divinity was created in 1948; the departments of Geography and Chemical Engineering, as well as the Foster Radiation Laboratory, the Institute of Islamic Studies, the Bellairs Research Institute, and the McGill University Archives were all established during this period. F. Cyril James died in England in 1973.
Facing the Lobby elevators, the mural (Untitled, 1967), by Montreal-born artist Louvin (Louise Vineberg) weighs approximately one ton, and measures ten feet high by twenty feet wide. It is made of self-curing clay created by the artist, and painted to resemble oxidized bronze.
The mural’s composition is a series of panels that depict symbols of McGill University Faculties and other elements representing the University and its surroundings. All of the Faculty symbols, with the exceptions of Dentistry and Medicine, are original designs by the artist. The borders include references to the McGill University coat-of-arms, snowflakes representing the McGill Winter Carnival, and maple leaves connote McGill University’s national character.
McGill History Portal: The University Archives opens electronic gateway to McGill's past
(January 7, 2004)
The New Year marks the launch of the McGill History Portal, an electronic gateway to online information about McGill University's history.
As part of the University Archives' outreach program, the McGill History Portal (MHP) provides access to material researched and written by the University Archives, such as McGill History and several virtual exhibition websites, in addition to material developed by other McGill departments involved in presenting McGill’s past.
Using photographs, audio clips, and other archival resources, the MHP showcases the people, student life, campus events, sports, and university traditions that form McGill’s long and colourful history.
Visit the McGill History Portal.