For McGill University the Installation functions as the University’s affirmation of the authority under which it is governed by its Charter of 1852, and the complimentary roles of the Chancellor, Principal, Board of Governors, and the Visitor. Installations have both coincided with convocation ceremonies and have been held as internal administrative functions. The first Installation was held during the meeting of the Board of Governors of McGill College on June 29, 1829. No evidence exists of formal public Installations between 1829 and 1935.
Since 1935, public Installations have been held at locations varying from the lower campus (1935) and Moyse Hall (1940) to the Currie Gymnasium (1963, 1970) and Place des Arts (1980, 1994). The upcoming Installation of Principal Heather Munroe-Blum in Redpath Hall marks the return of the ceremony to the McGill University campus.
This section features original documents, images, and photographs illustrating the history of McGill University's Installations.